Monday, November 9, 2009

RELAX BAR, Hollywood

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2009

Another Friday night in Hollywood. My friend Scott and I stop to get some beer and the head over the hill into Hollywood. We get to the parking lot and see my Canadian friends THE BRIXTON ROBBERS already partyin' it up so I join them to keep my buzz in full check.

After a while the rest of the Lazlo boys arrive and we really start drinkin'! A lot of old friends show up so it's a reunion of sorts.

First up was ARE YOU A COP. I didn't get a chance to see them since I was in the parking lot drinking for FREE! Fuck Hollywood prices!!!

Next up was my buddy EDDIE SOLIS' band IT'S CASUAL. I've seen them a lot this year and since my Maple-Core friends wanted to continue drinking by their van I decided to join stay and drink with them.

Instead of going up and playing our set THE BRIXTON ROBBERS went up and did a short but sweet drunken set of punk rock songs Canadian-style! I really enjoyed them. They friggin' rocked it. They toured with UK SUBS up north so NICKY GARRATT asked me to take care of them while in California as a favor to him. Every club I wanted to book was already booked so I decided to just take this venue so The Robber's could make a few bucks. (More on that later.)

When my pals finished their set it was our turn to take the stage. We hadn't played here since April this year and now I remember why I didn't want to play this place again. It's too small and the PA rarely works. Tonight both PA speakers worked so I was a little happier than last time. Anyway, we went up there and did our thing and really had a good time. We didn't write up a setlist since we wanted to keep it loose and play songs we've never played live. We did our cover of ULTRAMAN's "Messages" for the first time and nailed it. Some of the older guys in the crown recognized it so that made me happy. All in all we tore it up, drank it up, and then packed it up!!

After the show I went up to Eddie to get The Robber's their promised cash but instead got a handful of excuses that I didn't not expect... okay, maybe I did. This is LA and promoter's always have an excuse not to pay us. But a ripping off a touring band is a shitty thing to do, I don't care where you're from! I felt bad for the boys and didn't have a dime to my name so they left LA with $0, which bummed me out. Fuck the Relax Bar!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment